Saturday 14 July 2007

The British Countryside

A beautiful jaunt with some of the best Bread Loafers today through the Cotswolds (a range of hills in central England) filled my mind with poppies, snails, knotty tree roots and morning glories. We had lunch at the Plough Inn in the town of Finstock which had a thatched roof! I ate a delicious Montgomery Cheese and Pickle sandwich on the best bread I have ever eaten. The walk was 10 miles long and there were many nettles. I was fortunate enough to have worn jeans and a sweatshirt which cut down on my ouchies. We passed through the Wychwood forest--filled to the brim with ancient trees and fallow deer.

Probably one of the most interesting sights was the little church we stopped to visit. It was built in the middle ages and still retains some of its original wall paintings! Look:

There was a lead-lined basin with a lid to fill with Holy Water for baptisms inside as well. Why lead-lined, I wonder?

Tonight will be The Time Machine by H.G. Wells and thinking very hard about my paper topic for Thursday. And maybe a drink at the Pub...

No comments: